Travelling is my soul food!
I basically belong from kolkata and as we all know kolkata is famous for it’s durga puja’s. But well, the travelling bug did bite me during the holidays and we decided to go on an impromptu trip to RAJASTHAN.
Our first stop in the amazing state was UDAIPUR- THE CITY OF LAKES.
We took a flight from Kolkata to Udaipur costing about 8500 INR. You can book your tickets early if you’re well planned and can get at a lesser rate.
We reached Udaipur in the morning around 8 AM and checked into hotel Shalimar. It is a decent hotel and we had made our bookings from GoIbibo. That morning itself we freshened up and decided to explore the city by foot. I believe to discover a new place the best you can do is walk n explore. We went to Lake Pichola and were absolutely awestruck by it’s magnificent beauty. Many fancy resorts and five star properties are present within this lake where quite a number of fancy weddings does take place every year. It was around lunch time and we were quite hungry thus we decided to eat at Harigarh Restaurant just by the side of the lake. It has a rooftop seating arrangement and the view was impeccable.We also discovered a heritage hotel called Amet Haveli where we are definitely staying the next time that we visit, since it gives an amazing view of the city. Later in the evening we made a short trip to Fatehsagar Lake and the markets of Udaipur. At night we had hopped in Enigma Udaipur – which was a delight! The restaurant had served us some delectable cuisines.
THE MAIN ATTRACTIONS OF UDAIPUR
1. LAKE PICHOLA – We did a morning boat ride from Lake Pichola wherein we saw places like the Taj Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, City Palace and others. It gives a complete 360 degree view of the entire artificial lake. The boating timing is from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. This is honestly a must for all.
2. FATEHSAGAR LAKE– Another picturesque lake in Udaipur. One can simply spend time by looking at the stillness and calmness of the water. Boating options are available and are at cheaper rates. Although we did not opt for boating here.
3. SAHELIYON-KI-BARI – Built by the king for his queen and her bridesmaids during their wedding this place holds a very special place in my heart from the entire trip. The entry ticket being priced at just Rs 5 this is one gem of a place. With fountains in the centre of the bari and intricate architectural relics in the entire place this place was essentially built for the girlfriends of the queen. This place in itself gives a relaxing mood and ofcourse extremely instagram friendly. Each corner of the place and the frames are just perfect to get clicked. So what are you waiting for?
4. CITY PALACE UDAIPUR – The city Palace Udaipur is an architectural marvel and confluence of various cultures. Built by Maharana Udai Singh this place holds immense historic significance. Built in marble and granite, the entrance of the palace in itself is gigantic and beautiful. The entry fee is Rs 30 per person and there are extra charges for camera. Light and sound shows, vintage car collection, charter boat and crystal gallery all have separate charges. If you want to cover it completely half a day would also not be enough. Thus we chose to cover the basic parts and the museum. Entry to the museum has a separate charge. Also, it is open from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm. This place is absolutely the best place in Udaipur to click stunning pictures and make your feed look better. You can also opt for a tourist guide (government registered). One pro tip on a trip to Rajasthan if you are students do carry your student’s ID to get concession in bulk.
4. JAGDISH TEMPLE – This temple was the last stop for the day for us. Situated just near the City Palace, this temple is a sculptural marvel filled with gods and goddesses along with animals inscribed all over. A holy place to visit gives an insight into the Rajasthani culture for sure.
To read my entire Rajasthan trip and more travel related stories do keep an eye on my blog!